Fun for the whole family in Meribel
Posted by - Richard Visick on Fri 1st March 2013
One of the biggest challenges when choosing the destination for your chalet holiday is that you often have to accommodate contrasting needs. You might need slopes for beginners as well as black runs for advanced skiers, and activities for toddlers as well as for hard-to-please teenagers. You may also be looking for somewhere that can cater both for those who love a cosy night in front of a log fire and for those with excess energy to burn at the local nightclubs.
Many resorts throughout the Alps rise to this challenge, but one of our top picks is Meribel in France. Meribel is located in the heart of the Trois Vallées, one of the largest ski domains in the world, and is easily accessible from Geneva or Turin airports. The town of Meribel ranges from 1400m to 1750m, and excellent snow conditions are virtually guaranteed throughout the season. The pistes cover both sides of the large valley between Meribel and Mottaret, so the choice of easily accessible runs for all levels is exceptional.
So, in terms of its practicality and reliability, Meribel is ideal. But here are a few more reasons why we think that it's one of the top all-round ski resorts in the Alps, and the perfect destination for an unforgettable chalet holiday.
Meribel is one of several purpose-built resorts in France, dating back to the 1950s. The difference is that Meribel was modelled, thanks to the influence of one of its founders, Peter Lindsay, on the typical mountain chalet building-structure, and not on the concrete functionalism that mars some nearby resorts. This gives Meribel an authentic alpine atmosphere that will add a cosier flavour to your chalet holiday.
A chalet holiday isn’t just about skiing. It’s about spending time with your family or group, and this means finding activities that you can all enjoy together. Here’s an activity shortlist to give you a sample of what might be on offer on any given weekend in Meribel: ·
- The 'Inox Mountain Tour 2013' festival, featuring live music on the slopes!
- 'Kids à la Neige' - an event for kids and parents taking place across the French Alps, ranging from gentle sport to dancing and afternoon parties.·
- Snow photography exhibitions at the Office du Tourisme
- Heli-skiing tours in the Trois Vallées domain - from a 6 minute maiden flight for a tour of the Trois Vallées to a 60 minute flight to Mont Blanc, complete with exhilarating runs on untouched powder
- For the racing enthusiasts, Ski World Cup events are often held here. As a real bonus, in 2015, Meribel will host the Ski World Cup Finals.
Meribel boasts a great selection of comfortable chalets, perfect for that homely feel on your chalet holiday. Our favourites are the Chalet Chardonnet, exclusive to Ski Solutions; the wonderfully named Brioche, a little chalet at Les Allues, just outside Meribel; and Nant de Morel, located in Plateau de Morel, the highest of Meribel’s hubs, and close to the best nightlife in town.